Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Single Cable Hat


Knitting season is upon us! I am slowly preparing for the colder days and night, as well as winter. I have a huge storage bin of yarn that was purchased just for fun. They are all wound into balls and sans wraps so I am not sure what they are. All I know is that I was once-upon-a-time a yarn snob and nothing but natural would do. This is some sort of super soft wool, a blend perhaps. Looks like a long crotchet piece. Amazingly soft and breathable. Like a dream to knit with. I just wish I knew what brand it was so I could buy out all the stock. Anyway, I hate store bought hats becasue A. they are expensive, B. they are ugly, and C. they don't fit nice and snug (I would add D. gross acrylic feel, but I broke my no-acrylic yarn rule with my past few hats, what do you know, I like to live on the edge).


As always, I used my #4s (truthfully I only have #1s and #4s in a full set so whatever I make I try to adjust the cast on number of stitches and go with the flow), knit from bottom up and decided on a simple cable to add interest. I tapered off the cable near the top, and decreased with k2tog  for the last two rows only, an experiment. I was trying to leave the hat as a tube and sew the top shut, but that looked too bulky.


I can not emphasize enough now amazingly soft and stretchy this hat is. Although a bit thick, the yarn itself is very breathable so it is perfect for fall weather too. Not too warm, and doesn't make the head sweat which is my pet peeve!

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment